Read the full article here. Botswana is one of the continent’s most beautiful countries. It’s no wonder that it has become such a popular destination to take a roadtrip to. Hiring one of the cars from Around About Car’s extensive fleet or even trekking across the country with your own car can prove to be a lot of fun, as there are many sights that need seeing and many activities that need to be participated in along the way. If you are considering a roadtrip to beautiful Botswana, be sure to familiarise yourself with the protocol of crossing the border.
Travellers holding valid South African passports need not apply for a Visa.
While there are no compulsory vaccinations needed to enter Botswana, medical professionals recommend Tetanus, Hepatitis A and Malaria vaccinations as a precaution.
- To cross over the border of Botswana, all travellers need to be in possession of a valid passport.
- For all vehicles crossing the border, car registration papers, either originals or certified copies are essential. Cars that have yet been fully paid off will not have access to registration papers as they will be in the financing bank’s possession. In such cases, the annual license disc papers are accepted.
- Vehicle license papers are also a necessity. These can be obtained from the bank and must be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths.
- If the vehicle’s owner is not present, a letter from them authorising the driver to take the car over the border must be presented to Border Officials.
- A small Border Charge is also applicable to travellers from any of the SACU member countries (South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho and Swaziland). This fee includes a Road Transport Permit, a National Road Safety charge, a Temporary Import Permit and Third Party motor vehicle insurance.
- A “ZA” sticker must also be visible on the vehicle.
It is also recommended, but not essential, that drivers are in possession of a valid International Driver’s License.
Once you have all of the above documentation secured, crossing the border into Botswana should be quick and easy. While it may seem as though all of these papers are a big hassle, it will all be worth it in the end. The journey to Botswana, as well as your visit to the country itself, will, without a doubt, be an incredible, unforgettable experience.
Image credits: www.wikipedia.org